How To Skin A Anecdote Pace By Pace


Since I accept been buying fresh chestnuts by the pocketbook full lately, I have been trying out every method I could find to skin them so I could use them in my recipes. Ane afternoon I actually took an hr or two and tried a few dissimilar methods I establish on the internet to pare chestnuts to find the ane that worked the best. Aye I know, perhaps my chestnut obsession is getting a fiddling out of control, but just remember, my efforts are your gain! Later trying the traditional method of cutting an X into the flat side of each chestnut and then humid or roasting them, I did observe a method that fabricated peeling both the outer hard shell of the chestnut as well as the inner peel or pellicle much easier.

By cutting an X through the flat bottom of the chestnut where the inner skin is fastened and toughest to remove I establish both layers on the anecdote come up off quite easily without much fuss. If you observe the inner skin a bit sticky, but drop that anecdote into the hot water for another minute or 2. This method but requires boiling the chestnuts for 7 or 8 minutes, so once peeled they are non already half cooked. I have put a step past footstep guide together to help you understand exactly what I mean. Don't look at my nails please, after peeling too many chestnuts I am in dire demand of an emergency manicure!

This is the area at the lesser of the anecdote that you lot demand to cut.

Use a abrupt knife and cut an X into the lesser of each chestnut while y'all get a pot of water boiling.

Alert – Practice non cut the chestnut while property information technology like this or you may cut yourself!

This is what the chestnut should expect like subsequently you lot have cut your X. Identify the chestnuts in the humid water for 7 to 8 minutes.

Remove just a few chestnuts at a time from the water and use your fingers to pull off first the outer shell, then the inner pare. If the skin is sticking, either use a sharp paring knife to aid remove information technology, or simply drop it dorsum in the water for a minute or two.

Pull off all of both the outer shell and inner skin.

This is a chestnut minus the outer shell with but the inner, fuzzy peel left on. I had the return this one to the hot water to remove the inner pare or pellicle.

Hither are 2 perfectly cleaned chestnuts. Once cleaned, cut away any
darkened areas and discard any nighttime colored chestnuts.

Peeled and set up for using in my Roasted Brussel Sprout recipe!

Deborah Mele 2011